Thoughts and Inspiration for Creative Writers

-from Chrysalis Editorial

The Writer and Depression

Posted on | February 13, 2013 | 10 Comments

“Depression is more likely to occur in people who have a larger measure of life’s gifts, who tend to be more sensitive, more driven, more intelligent, more empathetic. And these very attributes are part of the vulnerability. They feel life more acutely.”

– Dr. Frederick Goodwin, Former Director of the National Institutes of Health

As Scott Peck says in the opening line of his book, The Road Less Traveled, “Life is difficult.” And it seems, much of the time, it is even more so for writers. It is well documented that creative people tend to be more susceptible to mental illness. In fact, authors are in one of the top ten professions in which people are most likely to experience depression. So it’s not just the high profile writers like Virginia Woolf, William Styron, Sylvia Plath, Anne Sexton, Ernest Hemingway, and Emily Dickinson who have suffered with bouts of depression, but also many of us who are engaged in creative pursuits without enjoying fame or fortune. Four of the writers from the above list of six actually committed suicide.

In his book, Darkness Visible: A Memoir of Madness, William Styron describes his personal descent into the despair and turmoil of a depression that included fantasies of killing himself and, ultimately, hospitalization. Sylvia Plath put her head in an oven, Anne Sexton used carbon monoxide poisoning, Hemingway a gun, and Virginia Woolf drowned herself in a river. Despite the sometimes fatal outcome of depressive illness, many of us still harbor a romanticized image of the depressed writer, scribbling in his garret, creating works of profundity and great meaning.

Because of the solitary nature of writing and the lack of available feedback, many writers are plagued with negative thoughts about the quality of their work. “Am I really good enough to be published?”, “How can I call myself a writer when I’m feeling so blocked?”, “Can I really make a living at this?” are some of the old tapes that can easily play in a writer’s head. The very nature of the work of a writer tends towards isolation, economic insecurity, self-doubt and lack of exercise – the “perfect storm” for experiencing depression – either mild and situational or clinical, serious and worthy of a doctor’s intervention. When you spend long hours sitting on your own, digging deeply into yourself to create a work of art, self-examination and self-doubt can easily lead down the path to clinical depression and anxiety.

On the other hand, it seems that creative expansion, spiritual depth and increased emotional sensitivity often entail a journey through fear and pain on the way to genuine growth. Therein lies the dilemma – can depression ever be a good thing? While a writer’s gifts often include heightened intellect and creativity, we must be careful not to glamorize the illness of depression or assume that every creative or dynamic person is going to go through the agonies of serious mood swings. There is nothing productive about being miserable and hopeless, and speaking from experience, most of us in a depressed state of mind do not have the motivation or the energy to get out of bed, much less write a great novel or poem. So what can you do if you find yourself slipping into a mild or even severe depression? Here are some suggestions that can help:

• Sit down at your computer and write, even though you don’t feel inspired. There is nothing like constructive activity to distract and elevate your mood.

• Read an upbeat book or watch a funny movie to feel relief from dwelling on yourself and your woes.

• Write out a list of positive affirmations (positive statements about yourself or your situation written in the present sense as if they are already happening).

• Write down ten simple things in your life that you are grateful for. – it is difficult to hold onto fear and anxiety when we are in a thankful state.

• Reach a hand out to somebody else in need – witnessing someone else’s difficulties or pain and doing something to support them can release you from dwelling obsessively on yourself and your own problems.

• Get a massage, take a walk in Nature, listen to your favorite music – do anything that inspires you and makes you feel spiritually connected to something bigger than yourself or your mood.

Don’t be misled to believe depressives have some mystical insight into creativity or that depression (or bi-polar illness) enhances the creative process. On the contrary, for most of us, depression leads to writer’s block, diminished courage, less motivation, less imagination and less resilience to everyday life. Finally, if you experience inordinately long and serious bouts of the “blues”, don’t pick up your pen…pick up the phone and get the professional medical help that will put you on the road to recovery.

Please feel free to share your own experience as a writer with depression and how you have constructively dealt with it.

Kathleen Pasley is currently at work on A Hurt in Your Soul – Depression and How to Heal It: A Practical & Spiritual Guide.

Comments

10 Responses to “The Writer and Depression”

1. The Writer and Depression : Writing Tips and Publishing Advice from Chrysalis Editorial | Depression SNAFU
    February 24th, 2013 @ 4:49 pm

[…] The Writer and Depression : Writing Tips and Publishing Advice from Chrysalis Editorial. Share this:Like this:Like Loading… CreativityDepressionLifestylemental-healthWriting ← Previous post […]

2. swirling
    August 13th, 2013 @ 10:55 am

It provides detailed historic and forecast data on the consumption of wine in
    France, covering market size, key categories and segments, wine type, color, price and country of origin.

Kof tea will not only help you to recover from all the cough and cold problems but will also tone up your throat and make your immunity strong to face any infections.
    In addition to the above components I tasted a bit of tar.

3. Caroline Leopold (@caroline815)
    January 10th, 2014 @ 12:41 pm

The article is enlightening and is strong in building a link between the writer’s life and depression. My only criticism is that you neglected to advise that anyone experiencing symptoms of disabling depression to seek professional help. This isn’t something people can usually solve by themselves and the risk for suicide is high.

4. Kathleen Pasley
    January 12th, 2014 @ 2:41 pm

Hi Caroline,

Thanks for your feedback. I couldn’t agree with you more…professional help is critical and really the first step in getting you on the journey towards recovery from depression. I’m a big proponent of both medication and therapy when it is required and, for most of us with depression, it is! I did mention medical help in the second to last paragraph, but I can see it should have been more prominent in the article. All the best.

5. Johnc264
    July 25th, 2014 @ 7:18 am

Hi my friend! I want to say that this post is amazing, great written and include almost all significant infos. I’d like to see more posts like this. edfgbcadeede

6. Leesa
    September 18th, 2014 @ 10:13 pm

I read a lot of interesting articles here. Probably you spend a lot of time writing, i know how to save
    you a lot of work, there is an online tool that creates unique,
    SEO friendly articles in seconds, just type in google – laranitas free content source

7. Derek
    October 20th, 2014 @ 6:55 pm

“Don’t be misled to believe depressives have some mystical insight into creativity or that depression (or bi-polar illness) enhances the creative process.”

Actually, there is a significant link between creativity and Bipolar Disorder. Just as Depression can restrict creative thought (and cognition in general), both hypomania and mania lend an incredible amount of creative thinking. In fact, the rate of Bipolar Disorder in people with professions in the arts runs about tenfold that of the general population.

Also, if someone is in remission from Depression or are being successfully treated, the states of despair they’ve undergone can then lend to creative insight.

8. we are fans
    October 25th, 2014 @ 11:50 pm

Thank you so much regarding taking turns that excellent subject theme for your web-site. I ran across it to the search engines like yahoo. I most certainly will come back again should you post more aricles.

9. For contacting one another, use the forum at suboxforum.com . The rules are spelled out at that site on the first page generally a request that people respect each other, and that's about it.
    February 23rd, 2015 @ 5:34 pm

Howdy, I include been GF due to the fact October 2011 and I undergo with bouts of despair presently. Pondering back again while I possibly contain experienced pre-prognosis as properly still it seems to be method major already. I consider the viewpoint towards be which include a gals regular viewpoint (maintain the abuse!) Even though on your own comprehend on your own truly feel cranky and irritable nevertheless can’t appear toward snap out of it. I deffo experience that it’s a chemical factor. I described this my physician every time I went back again impression worn out all the period and he explained it was considering that of the despair. Towards me it seems to be which include all the signs or symptoms are connected collectively and probably for the reason that of a lack inside my diet plan nonetheless discovering the perpetrator is impossible. Appealing posting and superior toward understand I’m not relocating insane.

10. Christian Lee
    March 2nd, 2015 @ 8:11 pm

Great piece! I knew depression was pretty prevalent among writers, but I didn’t know it was that bad. I’m one of them. I’m not sure if I suffer from depression because I’m a writer, but it does make writing difficult at times. All of your self-help ideas work great for me! Listening to music and going on walks is especially helpful. Thanks for the encouragement! 🙂