Thoughts and Inspiration for Creative Writers

-from Chrysalis Editorial

Tiger Woods: Hero or Human?

Posted on | December 4, 2009 | 23 Comments

How Majestic!

How Majestic!

Lesson: Look beneath the surface. Who would have thought that fresh-faced Tiger Woods had such a juicy private life? Not me.

I abhor our obsession with celebrity ogling…following every headline, watching every new snippet, hearing the anchors and reporters examining every facet of every new revelation, and of course the more salacious the better! Right? Well, hate to admit it, but I too am fascinated by this turn of events in the life of Tiger (what a great name!), the world class golfing Wunderkind!

I would never have guessed that our hero Tiger was only human… Big A on your forehead, big guy.

Inquiring minds want to know: One transgression or three? Maybe more? How many pesos are going to his wife? To his lovers? What’s going on behind the curtains of that beleaguered mansion? Wife smashing in the windows of his car with a golf club? Ooh, yes, I would have.

What say you? Are you intrigued? Be honest!

I’m enjoying taking a turn at writing the behind-the-scenes action/dialogue between Tiger and his shapely blond wife! Join me. Write a scene, a bit of dialogue between the two. Make it angry, make it real, make it up! That’s what people do when writing memoir.

Send it in!

Comments

23 Responses to “Tiger Woods: Hero or Human?”

1. Kathleen Pasley
    December 4th, 2009 @ 12:11 pm

Well said! I myself am an avid reader of People Magazine, but only share the fact with a select few!! The wonderful part of Tiger Woods is it shows a chink in the armor of someone who always appeared so superhuman…nobody gets off the planet with THAT moniker.

2. Phil Lakamp
    December 4th, 2009 @ 12:21 pm

I am torn on this Herta. Most of all, I feel bad for the entire family in general and the kids in particular. No one is above it all and for any indiscretions, there are always consequences. Unfortunately the public furor or frenzy is just part of it in our society. We love the good guy, but it seems the public loves the good guy gone bad more.

3. Riki Sheehan
    December 4th, 2009 @ 12:48 pm

Why do major public figures seem to think they can get away with this type of behavior? Notice how they are only sorry when they get caught. I usually ascribe to the “it’s none of our business” point of view, but at a time when there are few heroes to young people in the sports and/or entertainment world, Tiger Woods stood out for his perceived work ethic, intelligence and devotion to his beautiful young family. And he benefitted greatly as a result. He is not all that different from the hypocrites in the family values camp who project a certain image that is completely false. I hope he loses his endorsements, at the very least. I think Elin bashed in those car windows for all of us.

4. Sandra Hunter
    December 4th, 2009 @ 1:25 pm

I agree, rhetorical mulling over the bones is a guilty pleasure. However, I have to admit, more intriguing is the intensifying fascination for celebrity errors of omission or commission. Is it more intense because it’s technologically accelerated, or is it a chicken and egg syndrome — we wouldn’t debate it so readily if it weren’t possible?

5. Charles McCain
    December 4th, 2009 @ 4:09 pm

the private lives of public persons has, does and will continue to fascinate all of us. In England in earlier centuries, people followed different hgih ranking aristocrats and stood on both sides of the road if their were a large ball being held, to cheer for “their” Duke or boo another Duke or Earl. THe many small newspapers in England in the 1700s followed the sex lives of public figures, aristocrats and the royals as much as People does now. The only difference was they would change the names and write a story about two lovers meeting on a bridge or something in the country. While those two lovers were married to others, their love for each other was so strong they would sneak around to be with one another. Yet the disguise of the real people was so slight that all the readers knew who the people were being talked about.

It is human nature. We’re all voyeurs.

6. Fay Wheeler Sunshine
    December 4th, 2009 @ 4:49 pm

My husband is taking this hard because he believed Tiger to be so perfect. He was always telling me fun facts about Tiger and I would reply, “Why do you care? You don’t even like golf?” And he would answer, “yeah, but he’s the BEST player in the WORLD, EVER. He’s the first athlete to make a billion dollars!” Well, I think that superstar status made him think that his indiscretions would never be reported and that may be partly true because US Magazine claims they had been sitting on this story for a couple of years. Then when Elin chased him out of the house (or rescued him from his Ambien-induced run-in with the fire hydrant and tree), they decided to publish. Now that’s amazing!

7. Tom
    December 4th, 2009 @ 5:15 pm

What I find unaddressed by the media is the fascination among young women with celebrities, ala Entourage.

8. Nancy Eichelberger
    December 5th, 2009 @ 10:23 am

I believe that every family has a right to a private life, no matter how famous their celebrity status. Therefore, Tiger and his family should be left alone to solve their problems without the Media in their collective face 24/7. Tiger chose to be a professional golfer, not an example of the perfect husband and father. Some sectors of the public annointed him a hero, to be idlolized, worshipped as a sports figure and to set “the example” for a personal life lived within the boundaries of perfection; he did not ask to be our personal rolemodel. I think that we expect too much from our chosen heroes. Our heroes and their worshippers are all human with the flaws that have followed us since Adam and Eve.
    I do believe that we need heroes in our lives. Perhaps we should redefine our sense of a hero to include only those who have spontaneously committed an altruistic or brave act, such as the US Air captain who recently landed his plane in the Hudson, or every man and woman in the armed forces who has served in Afghanistan. Some of them are famous and others nameless, but heroes on some level nonetheless. Whomever we decide to include on our list of heroes, we must temper our expectations because none of them will ever fit our definition of perfection.

9. Melinda
    December 6th, 2009 @ 12:31 am

We like to know that those at the top of their game, leading the perfect life have feet of clay. It is somehow comforting to know they have failings like us, But really, Tiger, three…and counting? Why get married or have kids?

10. Joan Clever
    December 6th, 2009 @ 1:48 pm

It’s always interesting to see that even the best among us are flawed. Tiger will continue to be one of the most talented golfers of our time. I hope he has learned how much his infidelities has hurt his family and will come out of this a better man. We will see!

11. Terry Redding
    December 6th, 2009 @ 9:44 pm

Just like the couple who crashed the white house party, and has consumed a lot of print space in the Post, I just don’t know why this is news. But then, I’m kind of old school when it comes to what journalism should be. Oops, the light just went on. This isn’t about actual news…

12. Kate Dell
    December 7th, 2009 @ 12:32 am

Blake must have had our Tiger, before his fall, in mind when he wrote his famous poem. Who knew that “the forests of the night” would be suburban Florida? How sad to find that Tiger is just another self-indulgent, thoughtless creep. Poor wife and children.

William Blake. 1757–1827

489. The Tiger

TIGER, tiger, burning bright
    In the forests of the night,
    What immortal hand or eye
    Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

In what distant deeps or skies 5
    Burnt the fire of thine eyes?
    On what wings dare he aspire?
    What the hand dare seize the fire?

And what shoulder and what art
    Could twist the sinews of thy heart? 10
    And when thy heart began to beat,
    What dread hand and what dread feet?

What the hammer? what the chain?
    In what furnace was thy brain?
    What the anvil? What dread grasp 15
    Dare its deadly terrors clasp?

When the stars threw down their spears,
    And water’d heaven with their tears,
    Did He smile His work to see?
    Did He who made the lamb make thee? 20

Tiger, tiger, burning bright
    In the forests of the night,
    What immortal hand or eye
    Dare frame thy fearful symmetry?

13. Erika Dworkin
    December 7th, 2009 @ 12:07 pm

Eleanor Roosevelt got it right in saying that small minds focus on other people, average minds focus on events, and great minds focus on ideas. I find it a waste of time to ponder the lives of the rich-and-famous. Is it really a surprise that Tiger’s extraordinary talent, fame, and wealth have warped him? Or, perhaps he had no character before he became well-known. Personally, I’d rather think about those in our society who are known for their uplifting conduct.

14. Herta
    December 10th, 2009 @ 5:16 pm

Well, this goes to show ya that the Tiger Woods, uh, transgression(s!) have caused quite a stir. I love all the responses. Each so passionate, so well stated. I have truly enjoyed reading these.

Just a note on Tom’s response: why are young women so fascinated by celebrities? The answer is that young (and old) women are fascinated by and drawn to men in power, in the limelight, with money. Haven’t you noticed. Sad, but true. What do the rest of you think?

Also, i’m amazed that this story is getting airtime on national news, but I shouldn’t be surprised. As Terry said, i don’t understand why this is news, oops it isn’t news! And yet it is.

Interesting that after i wrote the blog, indeed there were other affairs. Can’t wait to see the number of books this spawns. Publishers will be (or already are) all over this one!

Again, thanks for all your witty, thoughtful, poetic, etc. responses!

In the meantime, most of us toil in anonymity, obscurity, like Rapunzel.

15. Gregory Walker
    January 4th, 2010 @ 4:58 am

To whom:
    We just need to leave Tiger alone. He has made a huge mistake, but there are worst things out there then cheating on your spouse. There have been many things wrong this year mike vick, Tiger, texas tech and Charlie S. I say which ones worst? Someone founding dog fights, someone cheating on there wife, a coach putting a player in a lock building ( which I believe that the players locked him in there for a joke), or someone threating to KILL someone. You tell me? I say maybe KILLING someone. I don’t see hanes getting ride of Charlie Sheen’s contract. Don’t get me wrong, but I do like sheens show. He’s on drugs plus he has felonies why don’t people talk about that? Some things are just wrong.

P.S. I really don’t care about any of this or care about any other celebrity problems because in the long run they don’t pay my bills!

Gregory (Charlotte,NC)

16. Anderson Elison
    April 12th, 2010 @ 1:32 pm

Thank you! That was really informative, I just Dugg your site.

17. Irmelinde Ebner
    May 27th, 2010 @ 1:47 am

Hello, sry for my bad english but Ih ave found your site and would say that I find your posts great because they have give me new ideas and new aspects. Thanks for this information.

18. Betsy Isenberger
    July 23rd, 2010 @ 12:36 am

Even after such scandal, Tiger Woods remains my idol. I’m happy to see Tiger play again.

19. Herta
    August 1st, 2010 @ 4:03 pm

Betsy, i can understand that we shouldn’t hold grudges, that we should “forgive” the guy, but how can he remain your idol?

et al, my other friends:..i find it so interesting that we keep seeing these “famous” men and their extramarital affairs (read: sex with someone other than spouse and your wife is the last to know)…Bill Clinton, John Edwards, xx spitzer (is that his name?), Tiger, the Governor of South Carolina (can’t remember his name and don’t have time to look it up), the list goes on…and the women who have “stood by their man.”

So i was glad to see that spunky south carolina first lady dump that dude, and now Elizabeth Edwards has finally come to her senses. i hate watching them stand on the dais with their husbands and listen to their whiny-ass excuses. Sorry for all the cursing, but the feminist in me sez, “Girls, wake up, don’t embarrass yourself looking all stoic, this man is no good…have the guts to leave. Repeat after me: Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn!”

20. site
    May 26th, 2012 @ 4:29 pm

Hello, I just hopped over to your website using StumbleUpon. Not somthing I might typically read, but I enjoyed your thoughts none the less. Thank you for creating some thing worth reading.

21. Preston Crismond
    June 25th, 2014 @ 2:08 pm

I must tell you that it’s hard to find your articles in google, i
    found this one on 12 spot, you should build some quality backlinks in order to rank your page, i
    know how to help you, just type in google – Arshumaker
    SEO tips

22. Ashlee
    September 20th, 2014 @ 4:53 am

I read a lot of interesting posts here. Probably you spend a lot
    of time writing, i know how to save you a lot of work, there is an online
    tool that creates unique, SEO friendly posts in minutes, just type in google – laranitas free content source

23. Omar
    December 12th, 2014 @ 4:39 am

Awesome content you post here! You can earn some extra money from your
    blog, don’t miss this opportunity, for more details just search in google –
    omgerido monetize website